Food I Always Have on Hand

Heyyyy everyone!!

How are you doing?

Baby Lily has another milestone she wants to share about….we can see and feel her first TOOTH coming in! Holy smokes.

Newborn stage is officially over. Infant stage is officially over. So sad….yet so exciting!

baby

Solid foods. First tooth coming through. What else does this week have in store for us?!

****

Today I have a pretty fun post for you (IMO)–it’s a bit word and list heavy though, but I thought it’d be fun to share about food I always have on hand–it’s like a peek into our lives for all you nosy folks!

These are the foods that I base our meals around, and that we eat pretty much daily.

As in the foods we NEVER run out of …..and as soon as I’m about to, I make it a point to get to the grocery store and re-stock the items listed (other than when we know we will be out of town for a long period of time<—those times are exempt because we don’t want to replenish perishables, duh)

Of course we buy more food than is on our list (seasonal fruits/veggies, cravings, etc.), but I am saying this is what you will ALWAYS find at our house. So if you were our neighbor and you were missing an ingredient on this list, you’d come on over & we’d have it and would share it with you!

Linking up with Jenn for the fun food party on Wednesdays <—check out all the fun!

Food I Always Have on Hand

Vegetables

• carrots
  • celery
  • onions
  • spinach
  • minced garlic
  • leafy green (usually romaine)
  • at least 1 veggie that is in season

Fruits

• apples OR oranges OR berries (depending on the season) + seasonal fruits
  • frozen berries

food I always have on hand

Protein

• raw almonds
  • almond butter
  • eggs
  • deli turkey
  • protein powder
  • frozen chicken
  • frozen ground turkey
  • frozen burger patties (beef for the husband, turkey or black bean for me)
  • peanut butter (for Jared)
  • canned tuna fish

Dairy

• milk
  • Greek yogurt
  • cottage cheese
  • cheddar cheese
  • Grueyere Swiss cheese (my parents are so nice–they always give us 1 lb blocks each time we see them–my mom is Swiss, it is a MUST-have item. haha)
  • parmesan cheese

Grains

• whole wheat pasta (fettucine, spaghetti, linguine)
  • whole wheat bread
  • whole wheat tortillas
  • white flour tortillas (for Jared)
  • brown rice
  • quinoa
  • oats (steel-cut and/or regular)
  • cereal
  • popcorn

Food I Always Have On Hand

Canned/Dry Goods

• black beans
  • kidney beans
  • chick peas
  • corn
  • black olives (for the husband)
  • refried beans
  • chopped jalapenos
  • enchilada sauce
  • chicken or vegetable stock
  • cream of mushroom/chicken soup
  • diced tomatoes
  • tomato sauce
  • spices (cinnamon, garlic powder, taco seasoning, Italian seasoning, sea salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, cumin, seasoned salt, curry powder)

Food I Always Have On Hand

Miscellaneous

• salsa
  • tortilla chips
  • white and whole wheat flour
  • white and brown sugar
  • stevia
  • herbal tea packets
  • hot cocoa packets/powder
  • soy sauce
  • ketchup
  • mustard
  • salad dressing (at least 1 kind, but usually 4-5)
  • miracle whip

Fun Foods

• sour cream & onion chips
  • ice cream
  • dark cocoa powder
  • cookie and/or cocoa butter
  • Swiss chocolate

Food I Always Have On Hand

Items I WANT to buy more often but always forget to (gah!!) and/or are a bit expensive so they’re bought less often:

• lentils
  • salmon
  • shrimp
  • dried beans (hello! I just need to buy ‘em and cook ‘em….lazy me)

It seems like a lot of food (and it is) but it’s not like I buy it all at once. Everything sort of finishes up at varying rates, and so I buy things together that are all about to be finished off–so I usually hit up the store every 1-1.5 weeks (esp for fresh stuff).

****

That was fun to write! And now I am hungry….surprise surprise.

Have a WONDERFUL day!! <3

In Your Opinion–what items above do YOU feel are not necessary to have on hand??! <–just curious! What items are YOUR top 5 MUST-have-on-hand foods??! What food would YOU buy more often if it weren’t so $$$$?? <–shrimp, salmon, sushi, sweet potato fries, and several kinds of ice cream!

Comments

1. hmmm my top 5 foods to have on hand: apples, bananas, eggs, oatmeal, & spinach
    Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted…Leading Lady Nursing Bras and TanksMy Profile

2. Susan S says:

Top 5 foods always in the house – bananas, berries, eggs, oatmeal and nut butter. And milk. And cheese. And cereal. And chocolate. Sheesh – we have a lot of must haves when it comes to food.

3. Haha, I kept nodding as I scrolled down the page because we keep a large % of those same items on-hand all the time :) My top 5 foods are eggs, raw milk, bananas, greens (kale, spinach, romaine, etc.), and some sort of nut butter. I’m not a happy girl if we ever run out of these.
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…Expert Q&A: Running While PregnantMy Profile

4. Awww, Baby Lily’s first tooth…too cute!

My top 5 foods I always have on hand are bananas, unsweetened almond milk, oats, eggs and organic baby spinach or spring mix.
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…DistractedMy Profile

5. A tooth! Yayyy. The move towards more solid foods is exciting. LOVE seeing these kind of lists. Reminds me of foods I’ve been neglecting. Things we always have on hand: nut butter, almond milk, Greek yogurt, fresh fruit and vegetables

6. We cannot ever run out of cereal (for my husband), fruit snacks (for Luke) and nut butter (for me!).
    Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted…Being a Jamberry Independent ConsultantMy Profile

7. Sushi! I would eat sushi everyday if it wasn’t so expensive.
    Ashley @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…Les Mills BODYATTACK 84 reviewMy Profile

8. danielle says:

greens, eggs, yogurt, coconut oil, and ezekeil bread. if i can have one more i choose a sweet, like ice cream!!! :)
    i never have white flour – i truthfully have never bought it since 1999, lol. i also don’t buy chips. for some reason they just don’t come home with me, and i’m ok with that! i will buy nori crisps, but i have eat them carefully cuz they really love to cling to my teeth.
    xoxoxox love you!

• danielle says:

ohhh I would totally buy more salmon!!! wild caught, haha! and bison. i love bison but it’s so pricey. hmmm so many things. i love Swiss cheeses but only buy a really good gruyere like once a month. more would be nice! i could also eat salmon sashimi often, i love that stuff. it’s like butter :)

• I’ve never had Ezekial bread!

No white flour since 1999? that is impressive!! We buy it so I can make cookies and pizza crust and banana bread (I usually do half and half on those–husband likes his white flour here and there ;) )
        annette recently posted…Food I Always Have on HandMy Profile

• danielle says:

ohhhh i should have clarified: i may not buy white flour but i love to eat baguettes!!! hahahaha yeah, minor detail ;) i love me some sourdough, too!!! the list goes on, it’s just a funny coincidence i don’t buy straight up flour. now cake mix? got some right now… lol

9. Antoinette says:

I go through oat bran, steel cut oats and instant oats at an alarming rate lol It’s gotten to the point where I’m thinking I need to buy in 15lb boxes to get me through the month. I wish kale chips weren’t so dang expensive, they are soooo gooood but I cannot justify buying a 2 ounce bag for $7.

10. On your list, you could never ask me if I had onions or cottage cheese if I was your neighbor – ick! :)

Top 5: Kale, Broccoli slaw, Eggs, Frozen artichoke, Turkey meatballs (which reminds me I need to go to the store!)
    Breanne recently posted…Sneak Peek: Sweet Lil Pumpkin [Newborn]My Profile

11. I’d definitely buy salmon and grass fed beef more often if it weren’t as expensive! Top 5 things we always have on hand: oats, milk, peanut butter, spinach, bananas … among several other things! :)
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…Tuesday Eats + Cardio Tabata WorkoutMy Profile

12. Love this list – great ideas! I would definitely buy more salmon if I could afford it!
    My top 5 that I ALWAYS have: Oatmeal, Eggs, Almond Butter, Bananas & Almond milk

13. I would eat sushi everyday, too! I’m hungry after eating this post. I mean READING this post! :) I would definitely eat more fresh fish if I could afford it, too. I eat eggs almost everyday. I eat leafy greens with almost every meal. I crave greens! I love homemade salsa- Ree Drummond’s Restaurant Style Salsa on her website is the best recipe I’ve found. But I don’t make it more than once every two weeks, because then I would eat too many tortilla chips and that would be no bueno. :)
    Veronica recently posted…I Get to Present Tracks 7 and 8- Lunges and Shoulders!My Profile

14. Your list looks a lot like mine! My top 5 must haves: eggs, spinach, bananas, baby carrots, protein powder.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…WIAW: All The Carbs.My Profile

15. Megan says:

I miss having Gruyere cheese! When my family and I lived in Switzerland, we would frequent the town of Gruyere and enjoyed sampling their delicious cheese :)

16. Ooo, I’m nosy, so of course I loved this post. ;-) We always have oatmeal, greens, fresh berries (or in season fruit), frozen chicken, and some kind of fresh veggies on hand.
    Sarah @ Sarah Sincerely recently posted…Thinking Out Loud {4/24/14}My Profile

17. So cute girl! thanks for a your short list always on a hand. Have a wonderful day too.

18. Hi, which protein powder do you use? I was just wondering. I use a grass fed whey from icon nutrition which is good. Would you recommend an alternative? Thanks Hannah…

Comments