Lily’s Birth Story {part 1}

Hey friends!

I’ve finally found some time to type up Lily’s birth story. I share this on my blog because I’ve shared the entire journey with you all. Thank you for respecting the beauty & wonder of birth with me! <3

{p.s. grab a snack & sit back, it’s long. yep, even just this first part.}

I knew that I wanted her birth to be something really special to me and as natural as possible. I wanted to feel it all! I also wanted her to be as safe & happy through the birth as possible, so I talked at length with my doc before her birth of what we could do to make that all happen. I am grateful for a great doc & nurses who happily helped us have a great experience, and who always had Lily’s best interest at the forefront.

A bit of background

First of all, here are a few things I did NOT want to happen during the birth:

  • I did not want to be induced
  • I did not want an epidural or other drugs
  • I did not want a c-section
  • I did not want to be hooked to an IV
  • I did not want internal fetal monitoring
  • I did not want anyone other than Jared/nurse/doc in the room (no extra fam/friends)
  • I did not want her taken to the NICU

And a few things I DID want to happen:

  • I wanted as natural of a birth as possible (so as few medical interventions as possible)
  • I wanted to use my Hypnobirthing to help me calm down & be relaxed through the contractions
  • I wanted Jared to be with me the whole birth
  • I wanted to be able to move around the entire birth-using different birthing positions
  • I wanted skin-to-skin contact for at least 1 hour after she would be born
  • I wanted Jared to cut the cord (only after it stopped pulsing)

As you can see, I wanted to go into labor naturally-with no drugs. And WAIT for that I did. Wowzers.

Other than the actual birth itself, waiting for her to come might’ve been the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do! 😉

Lily’s Birth Story {part 1}

Thursday, October 24, 2013.

{41 weeks 5 days pregnant}

I cried a lot this day. I was so so over being pregnant, and I just wanted to meet my lil’ angel!

I woke up early that morning excited to get things going….I took 2 heaping tablespoons of castor oil with a few chugs of Zevia Ginger Ale. That stuff is nasty. Like major nast.

Nothing happened for a few hours.

Then, about 3.5 hours later I ran to the bathroom….and stayed there for awhile. This went on for about 2 hours (back & forth from my desk to the bathroom), and a few contractions followed, but nothing too crazy.

In the evening I took another large heaping tablespoon of castor oil.

A few hours later I had a few more pretty good contractions.

I went to bed after rubbing clary sage essential oil & evening primrose oil all over my belly.

Friday, October 25, 2013. 

{41 weeks 6 days pregnant}

After showering & getting ready for the day, Jared & I headed to our doc’s appt.

I randomly came upon this article while waiting for the doc.

doc's appt



The NST (non-stress test) showed that the baby was doing well and handling the contractions well. Her HR looked great.

The doc checked me & I was dilated to about 1.5, and was 90% effaced. So a tinnnnnyyy bit of progress since 3 days before. He also swept my membranes again.

We made a plan to come to the hospital the next night if I hadn’t gone into labor yet, to do another NST. Then we’d go from there in terms of how long my doc would let me go without being induced.

41 weeks 6 days pregnant

After working for a bit, I went to an acupuncture appointment.

She stuck needles all over my body-hands, ankles, feet, lower back, shoulders. And she used a bit of electromagnetic stimulation on the needles. None of it really hurt too bad, but the one near my ankle definitely was intense! She was really sweet & kind, and I felt totally relaxed. She was a great acupuncturist! She also told me she’d had several ladies go into labor even after just 1 appt. (sidenote: if you want a great acupuncturist in the SLC area, let me know!)

I had 2 really strong contractions while on the table! yay! I then paid, and made a tentative appointment for the next morning at 11:30 a.m.

I had another strong contraction on the way home. So I stopped and got some fro yo. Naturally. 😉

fro yo

I drove home in terrible traffic while talking to my amazing sister. She gave me a pep talk, gave me some good ideas for when I actually go into labor, and just made me feel so loved. (She’s had several natural, non-medicated births).

Jared and I ate dinner together (pasta), and then he did homework while I watched a movie on our bed. I didn’t feel so hot, but I figured I’d feel better lying down.

I then began to have pretty strong contractions at around 9 p.m. They were irregular & not crazy long, so I just kept on watching my movie.

At around 11 p.m. the contractions became a bit more regularly spaced apart (9 minutes or so), and so I let Jared know that. He finished up his homework, and we started getting ready for bed around midnight.

Saturday, October 26, 2013.

{42 weeks pregnant}

I didn’t sleep really at all… contractions were coming about 7 minutes apart, and lasting about 1 minute each. I started timing them using an app on my phone-so all this info was generated as I pushed ‘start’ and ‘stop’ on the app.

This went on for a few hours. The contractions became a bit closer together over those hours (about 5 minutes or so apart). That’s when I decided to take a warm bath (around 3:30 a.m.). I soaked in the tub for about an hour? And then I showered–I had contractions the entire time. Jared had my phone & would push start & stop every time I told him to-so we could track the pattern. He also got me a few popsicles from the freezer that I requested (and which tasted amazing!!) This was just the beginning of Jared’s amazing role in this birth…

He snoozed on the bed as I continued to have contractions while getting ready-I did my hair, some makeup, and put on some comfy clothes. The contractions became pretty close together (4 minutes apart) about this time.

I decided to lie down on the bed & relax….I slept between each contraction, Jared said! Hah. Doesn’t surprise me–I freaking love my sleep! The contractions got a bit further apart actually, so we both just kind of snoozed for a few hours.

Around 7:30 a.m., as my contractions became a bit closer together again, we decided to start getting ready to go to the hospital. Jared showered & got dressed, and I attempted to eat an orange.

Sadly that failed….and ended coming back up. I was starving though, so I tried again a few minutes later with a piece of buttered toast. After a few really strong contractions spaced about 4 minutes apart, that came back up too.

Darn! I felt so sad that I couldn’t keep anything down, and knew that I needed that energy…

I grabbed another popsicle instead, and we finished grabbing what we needed, including our hospital bag, birthing ball, essential oils, my pillow, ipod, and carseat. We left for the hospital around 8:45 a.m. It was a beautiful, chilly fall day, but I was breathing through contractions, so I didn’t notice too much. The contractions were definitely making me catch my breath!

We walked into the hospital, and it definitely felt surreal. This would be the last time going in without a baby!

birth story

We got checked into our room around 9 a.m. and I changed into the lovely gown. We met our nurse, Nicole, and immediately liked her. She had had her own hypnobirth, and was very pro-natural birth, so we were grateful she was assigned to us! We wanted someone in alignment with our desires, and she definitely delivered, and more!

I got a hep lock IV, and began the intermittent fetal monitoring. The hep lock IV means it was just the beginnings of an IV placed in my arm with a ‘lock’ over it so I could get an IV if ever needed. I wasn’t attached to anything, which is what I wanted. It is much safer to do this in case anything happens, then to not get anything at all. The hospital required fetal monitoring about every hour or so for 20 minutes. (That part was the worst-I had to be near the bed & have the monitors placed on the belly underneath a horrible band. It was painful to put it on during contractions!)


My doc came in & checked me around 9:15 a.m. I was dilated to a 4, and was 100% effaced.

It was go time–they told us we’d have a baby in our arms by probably that evening. Sweet! I can do anything when I know there is a reasonable time frame. 😉

birth story

I popped in my ipod/headphones, and relaxed my body as best I could while listening to my 2 hypnobirthing relaxation tracks. The key to ‘handling’ contractions well is to allow the contractions to happen, to not tense up, and to relax the body as much as possible. The uterus is a muscle, and when it’s not super tense, it can allow the birthing process to go as it needs to. The problems arise, and the progression stops when the body becomes too tense & the uterus can’t do what it’s supposed to.

Yah, so those first 3 or so hours passed pretty quickly. I sat on my birthing ball, I walked around a bit, I bent over & breathed through the contractions. Jared was with me for each & every contraction, and would apply counter pressure to my lower back, which helped a TON. True labor contractions are definitely something else….and it is hard work to relax & breathe through them! So Jared’s support & his hands on my back helped me so so much.

I was also feeling pretty hungry & thirsty, so I ate some ice chips with a fruit syrup-mango- (makes it taste like a snow-cone. heavenly!). I ate some gatorade energy chews, and drank some water.

A few minutes after finishing that up, I threw it all up during a contraction. Ugh!

Fetal monitoring happened. Baby looked great.

Around 12:45 p.m. my doc came back & checked me again. I was dilated to a 6.

Cool! I was happy with the progression.

I decided to take a bath, so Nicole got a bath started for me.

I always thought I’d really care about modesty & all that, but once I had my headphones in, and was in my own little world breathing through the contractions, I didn’t care how much skin I was showing.

So I got in the tub-all modesty out the window. hah.

Jared sat next to me on a chair while I soaked in the tub & breathed through the contractions that came. I didn’t have my headphones in (they’re not waterproof), so I let the warm water relax me. The contractions were quite strong, but I tried hard to let the pain wash over me, and breathe through them. Relaxation is key to a natural birth!

I ate some more ice chips with fruit syrup (this time strawberry).

After showering off, I got back in my gown, got my headphones in again, and began laboring again on the birthing ball, in my own little world. Jared sat behind me & applied counter-pressure during each contraction, as I opened my hips & rolled them in a circle. We did this for quite some time.

I also threw up again. Yuck.

{I knew that I had to keep something down, and had to avoid being dehydrated if I was going to make it through. So each time I threw up was a major bummer for me.}

After an hour or so (?), I wanted to go to the bed & labor on my elbows & knees. Jared applied counter-pressure on my lower back through each contraction. (Do you see a pattern? He was We also did the fetal monitoring again. Baby looked great.

Around 4:15 p.m. the doc came back & checked me again. I was STILL A 6.

Wow. MAJOR bummer. I thought to myself “I just did all of that & I haven’t progressed?? Yikes.” I, however, would not let myself get discouraged. I knew that if I began to give up, I would not be able to relax.

The doc suggested breaking my water to speed things along a bit….after a few minutes of trying to decide if I wanted that, the doc mentioned that because I hadn’t progressed in those hours, this could really help.

I had him break my water.

That was quite a weird feeling! It was like a big gush of fluid that came right out of me….so weird.

The doc left, so it was just Jared, me & the contractions. :/

We did some more laboring on the birthing ball, then bent over the bed, then on elbows & knees. I had the nurse get me some more ice chips & a new flavor (pomegranate) of syrup. That one was my favorite! (It came up a bit later too though. sad face)

I then tried laboring while sitting on the ball with my upper body draped over the bed, and Jared applied counter-pressure. About this time I had listened to my hypnobirthing tracks like 10 times each….but I was still trying my best to relax & focus on the words of relaxation that I was hearing. And breathing, breathing out was so helpful for me! More fetal monitoring again–baby looked fabulous.

Around 6 p.m. the doc came & checked me again. I was dilated to an 8!


I got back in the tub, and soaked in the warm water for about an hour. It helped so much to allow my body to relax through the contractions!

I ate more ice chips with pomegranate syrup. This time (I think?), it stayed down. Finally! I also ate a few more Gatorade energy chews.

While I was in the bath & in my own little world, I vaguely remember my nurse, Nicole, saying her shift was over, and a new nurse would be taking care of us. I was so in my own world of relaxation (or at least trying to be), that I don’t remember much of saying good-bye to Nicole. She was a great nurse though!

After I showered off, I did some more laboring on the birthing ball, while opening my hips. Jared applied counter-pressure. Around this time the contractions were pretty tough to relax through. I was definitely breathing heavy on each one. They were quite painful–so I HAD to relax. I even began breathing the words out “reeeeelllaaxxx” and “brrreeaattthhee” during each one.

I also remember thinking that I thought I’d have had my baby by then….I didn’t think it would take that long! I tried hard to push out those discouraging thoughts though. It was such a mental game for me!

Our new nurse, Cassandra came in & met us. She also had me go back to the bed to do the fetal monitoring–every time I so hated putting on that band & being constricted to being by the bed! I could lie in whatever position I liked, but I had to keep the monitors on me under the band on my belly, so they could monitor the baby. It definitely messed with my groove a bit each time the nurses made me do that. Baby looked great, again.

At about 9 p.m. the doc checked me again. I was dilated to a 9!


Alright, that’s a good stopping point. Trust me, there is plenty to come….. (I know, how is that possible?!)

I’ll be back with the rest soon!

Have a GREAT day. <3

What are YOU up to today??! What are some mental games YOU’ve had to play with yourself lately??! Isn’t this birth story crazy long?!? hah.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


  1. what a cliffhanger! haha can’t wait for the rest! i was so tense reading this – i can’t imagine how you did it all! :) :)
    Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted…IUI Information: All the DetailsMy Profile

  2. Courtney says:

    You are a STRONG woman! I am no where near the mommy stage, but have always wanted to have a natural birth when that time comes. I’m excited to read about the rest of your story and your strength. :)

  3. I absolutely love this story <3.
    Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted…Wordless WeekendMy Profile

  4. You are one strong & determined lady! Love reading about your experience! Can’t wait for part two and to ‘meet’ Lily! :)

  5. Ahhh I LOVE reading this! When I opened up my Bloglovin, and I saw you posted the first part of your birth story, I told Cody how EXCITED I was to read it! You’re amazing. It makes me want to do my next birth natural…at least so far. 😉 You make it sound so simple. You’re a rockstar!
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…A Much Needed Weekend with My Little FamilyMy Profile

  6. Can’t wait to hear part two!!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Goal Talk: November.My Profile

  7. CarolineO says:

    Iron Lady! Your mental resolve is aaaaaaamazing. Can’t wait to read the next part :)

  8. omgosh. You are strong. Once my water broke…I couldn’t get the epidural fast enough haha. Kaylin came VERY quick. Her heart rate started to struggle as I was having her so we just went fast and furious on the pushing….

  9. Wow! It’s amazing you still remember so many details. I feel like I forgot half of what happened right away after having Addie! 😉
    Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted…Making a Great Marriage.My Profile

  10. Thabk you SO much fornsharing!
    Sarah Anne recently posted…A New Day (NaBloPoMo 3)My Profile

  11. WOW you are amazing! I have major respect for women who don’t want drugs and little medical intervention. I know that I want an epidural… but I’m also a wimp 😉 Can’t wait for part 2!
    Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted…MIMM #29- I spent a lot of $$$My Profile

  12. Wow! I can’t wait to read part two!!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Target Practice – Back in BusinessMy Profile

  13. You are proving single-handedly that women are mentally and physically strong! I am excited to hear the rest of the story and finally hear what it was like for you to meet Lily for the first time.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…When Something We Love Scares Us [MIMM #14]My Profile

  14. I’m so glad you’re willing to share this story. Reading other peoples birth stories has really helped me. I’m due in February with my first and honestly have no idea what to expect. I like that you listed the things you wanted and didn’t want. To be honest, up to this point I haven’t really been sure what my options are to even ask the doctor about. I want to be more in control of the birthing process but it’s hard when you don’t even know what you can and can’t control. I’ve thought, well I guess I’ll just let the doctors tell me what to do and then I’ll know better for the second baby. But reading your story and others has helped me to realize that I don’t have to do that. Can’t wait to read part2!
    Kim recently posted…October AdventuresMy Profile

    • Congrats!! Yay-a Feb baby will be so fun!! That is so true–remember that it is YOUR birth, so you def get a say in it all. I had a great doc who was willing to listen, and who helped me see what is best too. It was a great balance!

  15. I can finally read your blog! Yay! Firstly, CONGRATS on the arrival of the beautiful Lily!!!!! I am so happy for your family!
    Even though I never want kids myself, I kind of like reading others birth stories for some reason. Can’t wait to read part 2!
    Lisa recently posted…Life Lately – A Few Favorite ThingsMy Profile

  16. So excited to hear what happens next!! You are giving me great ideas for my own birthplan…its giving me some much needed confidence!

  17. Ohh I can’t wait for more!!
    Katie recently posted…Baked Doughnuts for Everyone!! {win a copy for yourself too!}My Profile

  18. Your birth plan is pretty much the same as mine – I can’t wait to read about the rest of your experience!
    One question: do you think the natural induction measures you tried brought on your labor or would it have happened when it did anyway? I’m trying to figure out what is worth trying if I go past my due date. Thanks!
    Andrea @ The Fit Scoop recently posted…Week 37: Full TermMy Profile

    • I think I was nearing when I’d be ready, but YES I def think those things helped a TON in getting it going SOONER. Personally I think I might’ve gone a few more days if I hadn’t done it all!

  19. I love reading birth stories! Thanks for sharing:)
    Ali recently posted…The Thankful Project: An ExperienceMy Profile

  20. Rock star! I’m so glad you got to go into labor naturally and handled in so beautifully. It sound so far exactly like I hoped for Hailey’s birth, buuuuut mine didn’t work out quite as planned 😉
    Can’t wait to read part 2!!
    Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted…Weekend Overview and This Week’s MenuMy Profile

  21. you are such a strong and inspirational woman girl…. can’t wait to hear more!
    Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted…Exploring Louisville with Miss SmartMy Profile

  22. What??! You cannot just stop there! lol.
    Tara@PNWRunner recently posted…Shave It For A Cause.My Profile

  23. Love! We look forward in hearing more! xoxo
    purelytwins recently posted…Getting back into a workout groove workoutMy Profile

  24. I loved reading this and can’t wait for part 2! I really admire you for doing such a great job of focusing on relaxing your body and mind.
    Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted…November: Now in Season!My Profile

  25. danielle says:

    I love your story!!!! keep it rolling… xoxoxox

  26. april says:

    wow, i really admire you for sticking to your birth plan, even though that must have been SO difficult at times! it seems like you really had a positive attitude throughout the entire experience. i can’t wait to read part 2 aka the best part! :)

  27. Oh my dear!! I’m so excited to read the rest and so happy you were able to utilize your oils – you’re a great advocate for EOs!
    Megan recently posted…Time for a personal updateMy Profile

  28. thanks so much i feel the spirit of my sister she is amazing do this and when ever she do she is great woman and she my sister Annette and the baby is my family i have a lot of family them and i love them Because to help Jared to Annette i feel the way to Annette and i am so happy to see the baby and she is cute i say my group text saying that family was talk to me about Annette and Jared Perkins and she is very so cute i ever see the baby she our family that is true and i feel that to me and to Annette pain to me and I prey to her and time of Jared will blessed the baby in church that is true and i feel Annette when she had her pain is to me and to Jared

  29. Nikki says:

    Obviously this was a while ago but I have some questions. I am 36 weeks pregnant with my first and I can just foresee myself going late like you. Do you know why you went late? I know due dates are based off your last period with a 28 day cycle. Do you know if you ovulated late or have a longer cycle? 15 days late is rare, isn’t it?

    • All of my sisters were late with their first, so I kind of knew in the back of my mind I would probably be late. I know my due date wasn’t too off though, because I know the weekend she was conceived. Some babies just take longer to ‘cook’!

      15 days late is rare, but because she was fine & healthy & so was I, my doc was fine with letting me go that long. I did have an induction date 2 days late if she still hadn’t come, btw. But In this country, actually, too many babies are probably pulled out early (IMO). Good luck!!
      annette recently posted…Summer Readin’ (And a BIRTHDAY!)My Profile


  1. […] me! (For newer readers, I’m not exaggerating by much…she came 15 days past her due date after a 30+ hour […]

  2. […] Birth Story Part I and Part II by Annette at Enjoy Your Healthy […]

  3. […] is Lily’s 2nd birthday (!!!), and so 2 years ago today, I was in labor for the ENTIRE day. Like all 24 hours of it. Nuts, right?! I’m glad I’m not in labor […]



CommentLuv badge

Privacy · © Copyright 2015 Fitness Perks, LLC · All right reserved · Designed by The Husband