And I am 1 year older just like that. 😉
I really LOVED reading your comments on the giveaway. It was fun to hear about some great gifts! I even shed a few tears.
What can I say? I am an emotional person.
Speaking of—yesterday was fabulous. I had a great birthday!
Not only did I get a brand new eye/face mask, I slept in the next morning (my bday)–so I got 9+ hours of sleep. My husband is the bomb dot com.
And he decorated the door (which is a tradition in my family, thanks to my amazing mom):
I also ate some great stuff (more on that tomorrow).
Super Food: Pomegranate
One of the things I wanted to do on my birthday was eat an entire pomegranate by myself.
I know, I know, I am such a daredevil.
I did it! It was so freaking delicious.
- the season for this delicious fruit is September-February
- the name comes from the medieval Latin meaning ‘apple seeded’ (source)
- this fruit is rich in folate, vitamin C, potassium, and B5
- the seeds are called arils
- this fruit is high in antioxidants (read: linked to possible reduced risk of cancers when consumed)
- pomegranate seeds play a role in the ancient Greek mythology story of Persephone and her mother Demeter (and thus the idea of seasons)
- this fruit contains natural sugar, and really does taste like nature’s candy!
Pomegranate arils are tasty atop salads, eaten by handfuls, or dumped into smoothies.
Pomegranate juice is also popular (but make sure it’s 100% pomegranate juice with no added sugar), for it’s possible anti-cancer benefits.
Pick up a few this week at the grocery store.
You can thank me later for that recommendation. 😉
- I am so very thankful for my life. I feel very blessed….
- I am thankful for all the great friends, family, husband, siblings, Internet people, coworkers, fitness team members, etc. You ALL rock (and know who you are!) Birthdays remind you of all the special people in your life–and it’s fabulous.
- I am thankful for my NEW eye mask to help me sleep even better.
P.s. Don’t forget to enter the Birthday Fun Giveaway! (It ends Sunday at 9 p.m EST)
Have a GREAT day!
How do YOU like YOUR pomegranates (arils)?? What are YOU thankful for??