How are you all feeling? I am doing pretty good– although I’ve had some stressful events in the past 24 hours + that blessed time of month (grateful for it, but still)…..so yahhhhh. Tears were shed, heart rate was quickened, and worrying commenced.
And then I remembered my own advice: just breathe. So I did–and it totally helped! Then I prayed, and I thought about all that was right in my life, and I finally calmed down.
Everything is NOT always peachy with my life (for example, my toenail is now ingrown–OUCH, I’m tired, and I broke my car’s window), BUT I refuse to focus solely on those things. And I also don’t want to be real negative around here on my blog.
But I think it’s always important to keep in mind that what you read on blogs is not always reality–nor is it showing all the ups & downs of that person’s life.
Besides that random tangent, I want to share with you my top 6 ways eat more veggies today.
Top 6 Ways To Eat More Veggies
- Include veggies in your breakfast meal! This one is huge for me. If I start the day off with a good dose of veggies (usually spinach in an omelet or smoothie), I am way more apt to eat vegetables throughout the day. Add bell pepper to eggs, spinach to a scramble, or lettuce to your cheese toast.
- Drink a green smoothie for a snack or meal. I have a smoothie almost every day–and it has been doing wonders for my skin, hair, energy levels, and well, health. Add in a cup of spinach or kale to your next smoothie with a few drops of stevia or honey and you’ll be well on your way to increased health!
- Cut up veggies when you come home from the grocery store, and store them in a clear container. Store them at eye level (you’ll be more apt to grab them). When I do this my husband appreciates it, most especially. He is all about convenience so when it’s sitting in a bag with a bunch of other veggies, he won’t ‘see them’ and thus won’t eat them. Problem solved when I cut ’em up and have them ready to eat! (Not everyone tends toward the veggies when thinking about a meal or snack, so this is a HUGE hint to help go that way).
- Have a salad as an appetizer for dinner, OR include a side salad at dinner. I grew up eating a salad as a side dish every night at dinner (see best tips for eating well), and it has stayed with me every since. It makes dinner really well-rounded with tons of veggies and fresh whole foods! Try salads with berries, cheese, nuts, or tomatoes atop the greens for an added punch of nutrients.
- Pair crunchy veggies like celery, broccoli, or cucumbers with your favorite nut butter, Greek yogurt-style mix, or hummus for a healthy, quick snack. These snacks are filling, easy, and obviously very healthy. Grab some celery, 1 tablespoon of nut butter, and a small handful of craisins and munch away! Or, mix plain Greek yogurt, garlic, lemon, and feta as a dip to broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Or just buy pre-made hummus and dip whatever veggies you have into it. Happy snacking!
- Keep carrots, spinach, sweet potatoes, onions and bell peppers on hand, as these are cheap(er), healthy, and easy to add to almost any dish! These are crazy good veggies to have around, people. I’m not kidding when I say I almost always have those veggies on hand–they are super versatile, easy to blend in to other dishes and flavors, and each packs a huge nutritional addition to your day.
When making a meal or snack, think about what veggies you have on hand, and see which ones you can add to the meal or snack you want. These bad boys are the number one reason I don’t need naps every afternoon (with all my training + refueling going on), and why I haven’t needed to see a doc in years.
Add ’em in & see your energy levels soar!
- I am so grateful for my husband who doesn’t get upset when I break things…..like my car window. Ooooooppps. (The window slid off the track when I slammed the door.)
- I am thankful I get to see my mom & dad during their quick trip out here this weekend!
- I am really grateful for fans. We sleep with 2 every night….and oh it is glorious!
What are some EASY ways YOU add in veggies to YOUR day?? What is a veggie YOU are loving right now?? What are YOU thankful for today?!