Hey friends! How are you doing today? It is almost Friday, so let’s just get er’ done….and the holidays are right around the corner. SO freakin’ excited!
This holiday season my entire family is going to be in town–that is 9 siblings (some of ‘em are married and have kids too!) + my two parents. Hello full house, literally!
Did anyone try the crazy fast workout from yesterday? My sista did, but I never got the verdict because I was at a gym dying (teaching class #2 and class #3 of the day : Zumba and ZumbaToning…had taught BP in the a.m.) and she had to work a night shift (she’s a nurse). So I hope she’s still alive
So, I love Greek yogurt. That is no secret around here. And as I’ve noticed from some of your blogs and comments, you all have a love affair with the stuff too. Cool.
We can all be buddies and talk about Greek yogurt yumminess, okay? Sweet.
Why Greek Yogurt ?
Back in the day no one even knew what Greek yogurt was, let alone how to use it, why it is so amazing, or why Greek yogurt is a super food. But now it is ALL over the grocery stores and our fridges. And for good reason. This stuff is legit.
An article from USnews reported, ” …our Mediterranean friend [Greek yogurt]—which is strained extensively to remove much of the liquid whey, lactose, and sugar, giving it its thick consistency—does have an undeniable edge. In roughly the same amount of calories, it can pack up to double the protein, while cutting sugar content by half.”
- is 30% protein! This is ideal for muscle recovery and rebuilding, and staying satisfied. Hello post-workout snack!
- is lower in sugar than regular yogurts
- has a slightly tangy flavor which is ideal for replacing sour cream in recipes and meals
- is obviously lower in carbohydrates than regular yogurt (less sugar)
- a 6-ounce serving packs about 20% of the DV for Calcium
- can be used in almost any recipe, meal, or snack
- comes in full fat, reduced-fat, and fat-free varieties
- is ideal for anyone who watches his/her weight and/or health
- is offered in a variety of flavors including plain (and my fav, raspberry)
There are obviously TONS of companies that jumped on the Greek yogurt train, so there are now several different kinds to try. I like Chobani, the Costco kind–Kirkland, and Oikos. I am not necessarily partial to any company, I usually buy what is cheapest and available.
I use Greek yogurt in the following ways:
- as a cereal base
- as a post workout snack
- in smoothies
- as a topping to any type of Mexican food
- in soups
- in any type of recipe that usually calls for something sour-cream like
- in oatmeal to fluff it up
Pretty much Greek yogurt deserves its status as part of the super foods, and I am a-okay with that. Why Greek yogurt you ask?? Well, I say WHY not?
The only downside is that some varieties of Greek yogurt could be more expensive per ounce than regular yogurt. But in my opinion, in the long run the benefits of eating that Greek yogurt may totally outweigh the small cost difference.
Alright, I am off to bust out some more Zumba! I love shakin’ it–even if I am totally exhausted
P.s. I was chosen to be a possible team member with Team REFUEL…..so PRETTY please vote for me EVERY day until January 12th to win a grant (I’d use it to race a huge race….the half Ironman!!) and join that chocolate milk Team REFUEL. I will love you forever! Voting HERE–starts at 5:00 p.m EST tonight!!
- I am thankful you all are voting for me starting tonight at 5 pm EST!!
- I am grateful my body can do so much for me!
- I am thankful that my husband rubs my feet. SO amazing.
Have a lovely day!
What do YOU use Greek yogurt for?? Why Greek yogurt in YOUR life?? What is YOUR favorite way to use the stuff?? Are YOU going to vote for me daily, starting tonight?!!