Oh hey. I am at my in-laws now and so the Thanksgiving holiday has officially begun around here! When does it start for you all??
So the other night I wanted to see how fast I could make cookies– from pulling out the ingredients to sticking the cookies in the oven, and I sure did surprise myself: 18 minutes flat + I used an ingredient I had been *afraid to use in cookie dough. Score.
Oh and these cookies were made up in my head as I went along….. (kinda like these)
So I guess the only reason I am sharing this all is because the cookies DID turn out amazing (and are ‘healthier’)! I totally surprised myself. And my husband. And my sister.
Before reading the recipe though, there are ‘bugs‘ in these, so beware 😉
Butterscotch Chia Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1.5 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tb vanilla
- 1 Tb cinnamon
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1.75 cups white flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tb chia seeds
- 1 bag butterscotch chips
- 1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips + 1/2 bag milk chocolate chips
- in a mixing bowl mix the butter, applesauce, and sugar together until fluffy
- add in the eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon. stir well
- stir in all the ‘dry’ (flours, salt, etc.)
- once mixed well–should be slightly sticky–add in the chia seeds
- finally, dump in the chips!!
- drop by rounded spoonful onto a greased baking sheet
- bake for 14 minutes at 325 degrees
Oh baby are these goooooooood. I love butterscotch (similar flavor to caramel and all) so these are perfection in my eyes. Please enjoy with a glass of almond milk and a side of husband and/or sister!
By the way, these cookies have a subtle Fall flavor to them (because of the cinnamon), so these would be a fun dessert to bring to a Thanksgiving or holiday party/get-together. Just put a note by them explaining that the bugs are edible.
Ya know, for quality control 😉
Have a lovely day friends!
What ingredient have YOU been afraid to try in baked goods?? What is YOUR favorite type of cookie??