Hey, hey. Friday has arrived!
Hope you all had a fantastic week so far –I definitely did
Focus On: Triceps Dips
It is true that most people (read: men) focus on their biceps more than their triceps. Go to any gym and I guarantee that over 55% of the people using weights are doing curls (this statistic is totally made up, I realize that).
Okay so that could be a lie, but my point is this : if you want strong biceps, it is vital that you also work the opposing muscles as well : the triceps. Weak muscles and imbalances can develop if one muscle group is targeted too often and/or instead of working other muscle groups.
For example, if you want a strong/sexy upper back, make sure you’re also doing plenty of chest presses!
Same thing applies here : want some amazing guns?? (hello Cameron Diaz!), then get your booty (er, I mean arms) into dip position.
Triceps dips can be done almost anywhere–even in the kitchen while cooking away for Thanksgiving!
- use a chair, short table, bed, bench top, or low stool
- place hands next to your sides on the object, slide butt off
- keep your body close to the objects you’re holding onto as you’re moving–this will help to reduce injury in the shoulders!
- knees should be just a little behind ankles
- bend at the elbows, keeping the elbows back <—NOT poking out!
- avoid letting your shoulders rise up to your ears!
To make triceps dips even harder than they already are (hello moving your body weight with small muscle groups!!):
- lift a leg off the ground <—add core work
- put a weight on your lap <—extra resistance work!
- go slower with the movement, i.e. count 4 counts down and 4 counts up, then 1 count down, HOLD, 2 counts up. for 8 reps. It is hard!
- keep your butt even closer the bench/chair/table
This is truly a versatile move that can be done ANYwhere. So during your travels, Thanksgiving holidays (if you’re celebrating this coming week), vacation, or at a gym, grab a prop. You’ve already got your body weight, so GO. Say goodbye to the jiggle
P.s. body weight exercises are KEY to building strength!
Have a lovely day!
Any triceps dips lovers out there??! Which celebrity has the best arms do YOU think?? Fun Friday plans any of YOU??