It is shaping up to be a lovely day already–and it is going to end with teaching a BodyPUMP class!
So, I get asked this all the time from clients, friends, family, gym-goers, strangers (heh, kidding on that one) : “what are the super foods I should be eating”
There are certain foods that have been created with a specific, superior nutritional profile. Those foods are usually lovingly called Super Foods and when eaten, these super foods do everything from fighting belly fat to preventing chronic disease to alleviating hunger pains to boosting vitality to helping shed body fat.
*Each website, source, or even encyclopedia may differ in its definition of super foods and which foods are considered those super foods (especially since there are often biases involved), so this list may not be totally comprehensive or fitting for all people of every nation or land.
- Berries (blueberry, strawberry, blackberry)
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Red bell pepper
- Salmon (wild, not farmed)
- Dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao) !WOOT!
- Sweet potato/yam
Not surprisingly all of these foods :
- Are high water dense foods
- Are high in fiber
- Are chock full of disease fighting antioxidants, phytochemicals, or (life-sustaining) protein
- Contain various vitamins and minerals
- Do not contain additives, chemicals, or synthetics
- Are whole foods
- Have been seen in medical research as possible aides in reducing risk of chronic disease
Although all foods that come from the earth are awesome to eat, research has shown and proved that some fruits, vegetables, grains, and protein sources may be superior (i.e. super foods).
In simplest terms: it is like choosing whether to spend your dollar NOW on the good stuff (super foods!) to prevent the diseases/sickness, or waiting to spend that dollar LATER on medical expenses, medicines, and therapy…..
I don’t know, that is a toss up.
I am all about prevention (get it done NOW!) rather than trying to fix the problem later.
Besides, that whole list is full of awesome recipe ingredients, mouth-watering tastes, and incredible color and variety that could make anyone swoon.
On that note, I am off to the grocery store 😉
- I am grateful for a smart, innovative husband who can make me laugh any time!
- I am thankful for painted toes.
- I am grateful for blueberries–they are just making my day, each and every day since picking them!
What are some of YOUR favorite super foods?? What food do YOU wish was one of the super foods?? What are YOU thankful for today??