Hey friends! Yes, I am STILL on my backpacking trip<—I am telling ya, this was a hardcore trip to begin with<–I knew this going in. Be excited for pictures. I will prob be exhausted, with no makeup, and very tired legs in each one But that’s okay, I am sure I am having fun-I am with my husband and another hardcore, very fit, couple.
As you know, I teach BodyPUMP. I have not always loved weight lifting, or made it a point to add it into my scheduled workouts, but ever since seriously lifting weights, I have noticed that I am more toned, fitter, leaner, and have an overall ‘tighter’ appearance. I also feel better, have a higher confidence level, and have more positive self-esteem vibes coming out of me. All very good things:)
Some things to think about when weight training:
- never sacrifice form for anything <—lower the weights if needed
- try out various weights for muscle groups <—i.e. less weight for upper body, more for lower body (to begin with)
- target all muscle groups if doing 1 day of weight training
- target half the muscle groups if only doing 2 days of weight training
- if doing more than 2 days of weight training per week, either split the body (i.e. upper body:Mon, lower body:Wed), or do all muscle groups each day, if time allows
- allow AT LEAST 24 hours(-48 hours) of rest between weight lifting workouts
- drink lots of water, get adequate protein and carbs after weight training
- girls do NOT bulk up!!!!
- frequency is key…don’t give up on yourself!
- fake it till’ ya make it sometimes!
The major muscle groups to hit, with an exercise for each: <—try 8-12 repetitions(or times) x 2 sets
(aka 8 times bicep curl, rest, 8 times bicep curl again)
—do squats, split squats, or plie squats
—try chest press, or chest fly
—try reverse fly, dead lifts, or clean & presses
—try standing or lying triceps extensions, or triceps dips
—try bicep curls, or hammer curls
—try lunges, dead lifts, or squats (plie squats if not done earlier)
—try lunges, squats, or leg raises to the back (with resistance if wanted)
—try shoulder raises, overhead presses, or upright rows
—try crunches, planks, or ball crunches
—try calf raises off a stair
Hope that helps! The pictures explain a lot–but don’t hesitate to ask
Do YOU love lifting weights? If so, what is YOUR favorite move??
**I looovvveee squats. Weird, I know